In the case of Grey and Mono-colored Plain Fabric:
The total quantity of material in a piece is the sum of the quantity of yarn and the quantity of sizing or finishing materials in the cloth. Again the total quantity of yarn in a piece will be the sum of the quantity of warp and weft yarns in the piece.
Total weight of a yarn in a piece,
= Weight of warp yarn + weight of weft yarn.
Total weight of a piece,
= Weight of warp yarn + weight of weft yarn + weight of size or finishing materials.
To calculate the total quantity of warp and weft yarns in a piece, the following particulars should be known,
- Total length or length of the piece and regain or take-up of warp.
- Ends per inch in the cloth and cloth width, or reed count and reed width.
- Reed width or cloth width and regain or percentage of contraction of weft yarn.
- Counts of warp and weft yarns.
Calculation of the Total Quantity of Materials in a Piece of Cloth with Example
A cloth 44.5 inches wide on a 72s Stockport reed, is woven with 32s warp and 40s weft and 64 picks per inch. Selvedges 0.25 inch on each side, are drawn 4 ends per dent. The count of the selvedge yarn is same as that of the warp yarn. The length of the piece is 40 yds. If the regain of warp is 5%, calculate-
- Total number of ends in the warp.
- Total length of warp yarn in hanks.
- Total weight of warp yarn in the piece.
- Total weight of weft yarn in the piece.
- Total weight of a yarn in the piece.
(1) Tape length,
….40 × 105
= 42 yds.
Total number of warp ends,
= Total number of body warp ends + total number of selvedge ends
= 44 × 72 + 0.5 × 72 × 2
= 3240 ends.
So, a total number of ends in the warp is 3240 ends.
(2) Total length of warp yarn,
……3240 × 42
= 162 hanks.
So, the Total length of warp yarn is 162 hanks.
(3) Weight of warp yarn,
……3240 × 42
……840 × 32
= 5.06 lbs.
So, the Weight of warp yarn is 5.06 lbs.
(4) Weight of weft yarn,
…..40 × 64 × 44.5
……….840 × 40
= 3.4 lbs.
So, the Weight of the weft yarn is 3.4 lbs.
(5) Now, the total weight of a yarn in the piece,
= Weight of warp yarn + weight of weft yarn
= (5.06 + 3.4) lbs
= 8.46 lbs. or 8 lbs.
So, the Total weight of a yarn in the piece is 8.46 lbs. or 8 lbs.
Author of this Article: Mayedul Islam Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House. Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org